Thursday, July 17, 2008

Google Earth

For those who follow us on Google Earth

From Randal:

Check out our nice marina. Kota Kinabalu has all the makings of a very nice city. 5'57'59.88N and 116'03'23.76E. Replace that first ' with a degree symbol.

My laptop failed and yesterday I followed a lead to a computer service store. The technician looked at it and said we only work on Acer but let me see what it's doing. He turned it on and spent 30 minutes checking it out before making a call to a friend and sending me to him with cell number, name and address written down. There was a customer there that overheard our conversation and told me to wait a few minutes and he would give me a ride. He took me directly to the location, parked his vehicle, and led me to the shop on the third floor.

That technician started working on the computer right away and spent the next two hours testing the hard drive and other components before telling me the cable between the hard drive and motherboard had failed and since it was a custom computer, would be very difficult to replace. At the end, even after all his work, he didn't want to take any money. After I told him that I insisted on paying, he made a bill for 10 ringits. I gave him 50 or about $16.57 USD.

I like it here but we have to be in Indonesia soon and will have to leave as soon as all the repairs and maintenance are done.

Randal

No comments: