Saturday, August 23, 2008

Indonesia - Arrived!

August 23 7:30 am is when I am writing this.
Hi Guys,

Randal wrote .....

Arrived safely at anchor 6:45 AM in Makassar at 05'08.228S 119'23.912E. Yesterday was terrible and the price for the boat got down to make an offer. We had heavy winds and waves just about all day. When we made our turn toward Makkassar we had in excess of 20 knots winds on the nose and building waves. It was 9:00 PM last night and it took us nearly 10 hours to work our way through the reefs and a million fishing boats.

I think both Ruth and I are wired and tired. Too wired to try to sleep but too tired not to want to. From the water front this place really looks interesting. Lots of bars and restaurants along the beach and just north of our anchorage is the ship terminal. We look forward to exploring.

Ruth wrote.......

Randal did a great job never complaining a bit when I woke him up during all but one of my watches so he had to be up part of mine as well as all of his. Last night coming here was beyond me except for about 2 and a half hours. Randal did all the rest. I was just too pooped and too scared of all the fishing boats surrounding us. Luckily I had driven more of the daytime. Now we are beyond tired and are just waiting for customs to notice us. If not, eventually we'll go find them. A boat taxi led us to an anchor spot. We thought he was customs. He saw us as customers. It does look like an interesting spot.

This passage was a lot like doing Outward Bound. I didn't love it and it was almost too hard and at one point I did say I couldn't do something. But in the end I was really proud that I had done it. Same with this passage. Now I know we can do it and know how to do it better.

Randal is looking through the binoculars at the people eating in the Dunkin Donuts! A big water taxi just went by and everyone is looking at us.

"This is what cruising is all about, I reckon." Randal, after hearing what I had added.

The end!

No comments: